Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Ramblings

Christmas decorations on my mother's old desk



Our Christmas Tree


I know most of you are scrambling to do those last minute touches that make your Christmas special. We have already celebrated our Christmas because my husband is flying home to meet our new grandson and see his family. We couldn't afford for both of us to go, so he is making the trek. He is driving back here with his oldest son, so that is his very best Christmas present. His son wants to live out here for awhile. I pray they have a safe drive back after the holidays.

We opened our presents last night. I got Bruce nice warm stuff to take with him to New Hampshire. Gloves, thick socks, etc. He got me a pair of binoculars. I am so excited about bird watching and checking out nature without squinting since I have poor vision (even with glasses). The other present I am excited about is the Christmas CD by Sufjan Stevens that my daughter is sending me. The next two weeks will be hard because I will miss Bruce while he is gone. I plan to hunker down Christmas day and read a good book and then go to my sister's for Christmas dinner.

Best ever Christmas gift from my husband: Three years ago on Christmas, my husband proposed to me on the banks of Lake Massabesic in New Hampshire. He got on one knee and asked for my hand in marriage. We prayed together while the mist rose from the lake on a beautiful Christmas morning. It was one of the best days ever.

This Christmas is the first without my mother. She used to cut chokecherry bushes or sagebrush when we were too poor to afford a Christmas tree. We decorated the bush with ornaments handed down from her mother, and ones she made herself, along with the usual school made ornaments. I hated the fact when I was young that we had sagebrush instead of a REAL Christmas tree, but my sister and I have created a tradition this year. We drove out to the Veteran's Cemetery and decorated a cut sagebrush with my mother's old ornaments. We left some flowers also and a homemade card. My sister played a song for me on the drive out. It was a country song that won best song I guess, and it was about an old man who shared with a boy how the Bible had become important to him, and how he was looking forward to seeing his wife in heaven. My sister is not a Christian, but she said she cries every time she hears that song. I know God is working in her heart.

May you all have a blessed Christmas and a very blessed New Year too.

2 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Blogger missmellifluous said...

Happy Christmas to you and your family, Candy! God's richest blessings to you all! I love the news about your sister. I hope you see some great birds. Let me know if you do.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Iris Godfrey said...

Merry Christmas Candy. You already have had a grand one. Our Lord is so good.

Blessings and prayers,
Iris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home