Saturday, April 07, 2007

It's All About Me Meme

Miss M over at Regaining Paradise has asked some questions which I will answer to the best of my ability.

1) I know you like art so, if you had the ability to paint as any artist in history who would it be and what would you paint?

One of my favorite artists is Albrecht Durer. He was also a naturalist. He is probably most famous for his praying hands picture. I would paint meticulously rendered plants, flowers, trees, mountains, rivers, oceans, clouds, which is what I usually paint anyways.

2) What is your fondest memory of your childhood?

I playacted most of the books I read and loved. I was Mowgli of the jungle, Huck Finn, or Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird most of the time. I was mostly a solitary kid with my nose in a book or exploring the outdoors. One aspect of books I loved is the fact that these characters were always on adventures. I have always loved a good adventure. I wonder what is around the bend or over the next hill. I was perfectly content during these times of my childhood.

3) If you were down to your last $10.50 what would you spend it on?

Probably food staples. Probably a bag of beans or something that would last to my next windfall.

4) Can you share a moment in which you felt so happy and content that you would not have changed a thing?

Not a specific moment but similar moments of being on a mountain summit with the Word of God, a good picnic, and a beautiful day. Or, perhaps, an ocean beach with the Word of God, a good picnic, and a beautiful day. Hmmmm....how about out at Pyramid Lake (a local turquoise lake in the middle of high desert) with the Word of God, a good picnic, and a beautiful SUNSET! During these times, cares and worries seem to melt away.

5) Could you please tell us which plant you think best represents your life and why?


I tried to think of beautiful flowers or gorgeous trees, but I have to face reality and be honest. I thought of Lavender, common looking but with such a beautiful aroma, and I actually thought of something more accurate. I am a Nevadan and even though I love green, lots of green, we live in a sea of sagebrush, canyons of aspens, and willows, and it is a tough land. I am like a sagebrush I think. Sagebrush is common, but rub the leaves and a fresh, pungent odor emits. The wood is rough and gnarly, multi-colored, and quite resiliant to all but fire . There is an oil in the plant that is bitter and flammable, but can be medicinal and healing. It can survive in little water, and stands strong and endures against wind, bugs, and disease. It has lovely dusky gray/green leaves that are soft in color and intensity, not as noticable as more flamboyant bright green plants. We as Nevadans might crave more green but when we move elsewhere where no sagebrush exists, it is the one plant we miss the most. To come back home and experience a desert day after a rainfall is to experience the most heavenly of scents.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you captured the high desert in your description. We Nevadans know the very peculiar beauty of this region! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home