Saturday, March 10, 2007

Book Meme and A Call to Check Out Some Great Bookmarks

Kim at Hiraeth has this fun book meme and she also makes these wonderful hand lettered bookmarks that you simply MUST check out.

Bookworm Meme

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?

Whatever comes my way. Mostly paperbacks due to costs.

Online purchase or brick and mortar?

These days, it is all about online. So easy. I do love old dusty bookstores though. Hey...the best in the world is Powell's in Portland Ore. More than a million new and used books.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?

Neither. A good ole mom and pop bookstore for me.

Bookmark or dog-ear?

Bookmark.

Mark or not mark?

I don't like to mark books. It is distracting if I read it again. I like clean fresh pages.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?

I am not anal. I place books according to size. Large books on bottom shelf, medium books, etc. I am lucky if I can get the titles going the same way.

Keep, throw away, or sell?

I keep the good ones. I throw away bad theological books I once read because I don't want anyone else to read them. I am ashamed to say that I once got rid of some beautifully illustrated books when I became a Christian because I thought I shouldn't read secular books. I got rid of very early editions of Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, stories by Louisa May Alcott, and Smoky the Horse that my mother had owned as a child. I so, so, so regret that early decision over 30 years ago.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?

I keep them but they are not on the books when I read them.


Short story or novel?

Mostly novels.

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?

Both, but I do prefer anthologies.

Lord of the Rings or Narnia

Both.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?


I am like most people. I read just one more chapter. Just one more. Ok...one more.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?


Dark and stormy night is too contrived and dramatic. I like clean literature, not cluttered words.

Buy or Borrow?

Both.

New or used?

I am poor these days. I mostly buy used.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?

Mostly recommendations.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

Tidy ending. If I am staying up all night just to read one more chapter and another and another, I better not end on a cliffhanger!

Morning reading, afternoon reading or night time reading?

Whenever I have time. I do love to read before I go to sleep.

Standalone or series?

Both.

Favorite series?

I liked the series about Merlin and Arthur( Crystal Cave and a couple of others) years ago. I forget the author at the moment but I was on an English History bent at the time.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?

Angle of Repose. Pulitzer prize winner by a favorite author, Wallace Stegner. It takes place in the west during the days of settlement and mining in the 1800's. I like literature that deals with the west.

Favorite books read last year?

The little lady up the street asked me to be a part of her book club and I didn't want to read one of the books, but then found myself totally into it. In fact, I was sick one night and read in the bathtub. The pages got all wavy like, and since it was a library book, I had to replace it. Anyways, it was Gone With The Wind. I also have some theological books but can't remember at the moment what my favorites were. I will probably add those later.


Favorite book of all time?

To Kill A Mockingbird and the Bible. Not necessarily in that order.

4 Comments:

At 4:51 AM, Blogger missmellifluous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger missmellifluous said...

missmellifluous said...

Oh! YAY! you played! Great answers, Candy. I love reading in the bath! That is the ultimate indulgence.

We have a great dusty-old bookstore called Berkelouw's in Sydney and Bowral. You'd love the Bowral store. It is old, dusty and full of mysterious and collectable books with beautiful colour plates. The only problem is they are expensive. Once a friend and I were at the city store looking at the poetry section while we were waiting for a movie we wanted to see start next door, when before we knew it we'd spent 3 hours reading poetry and had completely missed the movie! I think we had a better time in the book store anyway.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, Candy!

I had a copy of Pinnochio with beautiful drawings as a child. I don't know what happened to it, but I'd really love to hold it in my hands again. I remember it so well; I used to "read" it over and over again during my "naps."

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger candy said...

Miss M. I love sitting around a bookstore also. It is nice when they have comfortable chairs and coffee. Look up Powell's. It is huge and rambling, with lots of rooms and used and new copies of books side by side. Big stores like Barnes and Nobles and Borders have put many wonderful mom and pop bookstores out of business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home