Saturday, February 18, 2006

Christian Art?


Grunewald's Isenheim Altarpiece

There is an interesting discussion over at Purgatorio about what constitutes Christian art. Above is an altarpiece in a church that housed a hospice for plague victims. Jesus is shown broken and covered in sores. It was painted in an effort to comfort those who were broken and in pain. This picture is in stark contrast to many contemporary versions of Jesus.

Another question. Does "Christian art" even need to portray images that are obvious Christian symbols or Jesus figures? Go over to Purgatorio and join in the discussion.

2 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Isenheim Alterpiece is one of my favorite works of art. EVER. If you look on my profile under Interests, I have Grunewald on there. :) He has profoundly influenced my image-making.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger candy said...

I see you have MY favorite artist listed under your influences. Albrecht Durer! He is one of my greatest influences. I am also an art teacher. Private Christian school, homeschoolers, Very Special Arts Nevada, the NV Museum of Art, various institutions have been my venues. Nice to meet you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home