Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Perhaps an Enema Will Help

I read a great quote today in the www.desiringgod.org/Blog/

The great challenge of the preacher is to follow Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:5, "What we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake."

But there are more ways to preach ourselves than one might think. This word from James Denney has exerted a sobering effect on me since I first read it in 1982. He had these words framed and posted in the vestry of his Scottish church.
No man can bear witness to Christ and to himself at the same time. No man can give the impression that he himself is clever and that Christ is mighty to save.


There is a great discussion over at Pyromaniacs about Legalism and one of the quotes I enjoyed was this:
But it is obvious to everyone around him that he is not really holy, he just needs to take an enema.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Cindy Swanson said...

I got a chuckle out that quote! :) Unfortunately, I've known enough holier-than-thou types to make use of a pharmacy full of enemas. :)

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger candy said...

Great comment. I actually had more to post on the issue but deleted it. I was exasperated at the time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home