Sunday, May 06, 2007

Seven Random Things About Me

Miss M asked me to do a seven random things about me meme so here goes:

1. My mother swears that Marilyn Monroe picked me up and held me while she was filming in Reno. She was filming her last film The Misfits. My mother said she had gone to watch the filming with my older brother and me.

2. I hitchhiked to Berkeley when I was 16. More than once.

3. About 10 years ago I sat and had a beer and great conversation with a few folks I knew and Daniel Boorstin, A Pulitzer Prize winning author and more.

4. I worked for a summer near Yosemite National Park and had to drive through Yosemite Valley one night. I walked up to Yosemite Falls at midnight and reclined on a concrete bench and watched stars for about two hours with the mist falling all over me.

5. The last time I ever saw my father was when I was one year old. Not because he died but because he truly did not desire to know me.

6. In high school I used to drive to hot springs in a remote area with friends, spend all night soaking under the stars and drive the next day straight to school, smelling like sulphur.

7. Even though I have summited 10,000-12,000 ft. peaks and rapelled down a 230 ft. cliff, I cannot walk across a log over a stream. I have to crawl across. I am terribly afraid of heights.

Extra random thing about me:

I had my first child when I was 18. Here she is at 33. Isn't she beautiful and didn't she take a very artistic photo of herself?

4 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger missmellifluous said...

Wow! SO many interesting random things I don;t know where to start. I'm glad you did this. Thanks!

#1 is pretty amazing! Imagine!

#2 ! Candy! That's so dangerous! I once hitchhiked 3 block and was terrified, especially when the seat became jammed and my friend was stuck in the backseat of some strange - but probably very nice - person's car. How far was Berkeley from where you were?

#3 Wow! How fun. What did you talk about. My professor used to introduce me to famous authors and I'd always make a complete idiot out of myself by being completely ignorant about who they were and what they'd written. Did you know who Boorstin was when you met him?

#4 Nice!

#5 Jerk. Can I say that? "'Cause he was a BIG jerk.

#6 Wow again! Hot springs!

#7 How ever did you abseil if you are scared of heights? Abseiling is one of the scariest things! Going over the edge is so hard to do even when you're not afraid of heights!

And yes, your daughter is beautiful and her picture is incredibly artistic and retro. She could have been in the film with Marilyn

Thanks for playing.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a minute I thought she wass Audrey Hepburn! She is beautiful!

I used to hitchhike all around too - different days back then...

oooh I'd like to do #4 with you.

#5 - very sad - and a loss - for both of you. it is a very good thing we have a perfect Abba in heaven.

37 - very very strange - are you afraid of water?

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Candy,

Love the image of mist touching the brow while reclining under the falls in the deep of night. Breathtaking. Thank you.

Yes, your daughter is beautiful. A gift.

Peace.

Bill Gnade

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Candy! I know you're not blogging anymore but...just loved reading these things about you!
We are kindred spirits in more ways than one. :)

At 19 I hitchhiked from Tahoe to Haight Ashbury in the middle of winter at night.

Also regulary went to the hot springs in the winter - near Sierraville -

My oldest turns 36 next month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home