Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Devouring One Another


There has been a conversation going on with a few blogs regarding vulgar language amongst Christians. After reading a few posts here and there, I found a great quote. It came from an article over at Jollyblogger. I have not commented at various posts regarding this issue, because frankly, I see both sides of the issue. When I was growing up, I very rarely said a cuss word. It wasn't until I became a Christian, and when confronted by severe frustrating situations, found that bad language just seemed to jump out of my mouth. Of course I felt bad and repented each time, and thought it kinda weird that questionable angry words flowed easier than before I belonged to Christ. I realized at some point that it was because sin becomes a glaring issue as a Christian, and the struggle against sin becomes more pronounced. The law shows me how little I can live by the law in my own strength, and how much I need God's grace. Anyways, the quote that I thought summed up my feelings and thoughts on the whole issue comes from Jonathan Edwards in his resolutions.

Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God. July 30.


I think Christians everywhere should memorize this resolution and quote it to themselves before posting half the stuff that gets posted on blogs.

2 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger marc said...

That Edwards was a gift to the church Candy. Good post.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger candy said...

Thanks Marc. He was surely one of the greatest gifts. Too bad his congregation didn't recognize it much at the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home