Monday, October 16, 2006

A Clarifying Prayer Concerning The Lordship of Jesus

It has been interesting to read the posts over at Pyromaniacs concerning the Lordship Salvation issue. It's funny when I start pondering an issue (in this case sorta amazed that it is even an issue), that I start noticing various writings pertaining to our understanding of the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I came across this prayer from Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions that I think neatly sums up our response and prayers to Christ for our daily walk.

Belonging to Jesus

O Heavenly Father,

Teach me to see that if Christ has pacified thee and satisfied divine justice
he can also deliver me from my sins;
that Christ does not desire me, now justified,
to live in self-confidence in my own strength,
but gives me the law of the Spirit of life
to enable me to obey thee;
that the Spirit and his power are mine by resting on Christ's death;
that the Spirit of Life within answers to the law without;
that if I sin not I should thank thee for it;
that if I sin I should be humbled daily under it;
that I should mourn for sin more than other men do,
for when I see I shall die because of sin,
that makes me mourn;
when I see how sin strikes at thee, that makes me mourn;
when I see that sin caused Christ's death, that makes me mourn;
that sancificiation is the evidence of reconciliation,
proving that faith has truly apprehended Christ;
Thou hast taught me
that faith is nothing else than receiving thy kindness;
that it is an adherence to Christ, a resting on him,
love clinging to him as a branch to the tree,
to seek life and vigour from him.
I thank thee for showing me the vast difference between knowing things by reason,
and knowing them by the spirit of faith.
By reason I see a thing is so; by faith I know it as it is.
I have seen thee by reason and have not been amazed,
I have seen thee as thou art in thy Son
and have been ravished to behold thee.
I bless thee that I am thine in my Saviour , Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home