Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Husband Seeks Summit, Wife is Wimpy

Bruce and I hiked to the top of the Sierra Buttes. It is only 3 mi. to the top, but what a steep three miles! I have always suffered from a fear of heights. It seemed to be extra pronounced on this trip. The trail somewhat drops away on both sides near the very top. It is safe, but for some reason, I was affected by the feeling of falling. I could only sit at the foot of the stairs while brave husband climbed the stairs and walked around the mesh floor of the fire tower and took pictures. He told me later that it was really scary because it is windy and because underneath the mesh floor is a sheer drop of a cliff, but there was no way he was not going to do it since I was such a scaredy cat. I will post a couple more pictures tomorrow since Blogger is being stingy with how many I can post at a time.

Sierra Buttes from Lower Sardine Lake

Believe it or not, there is a fire tower on the peak to the right.

Looking down from the edge to what really are pretty large lakes way down below.

Peeking out at a large jagged finger of rock.

One of the views from the fire tower

This is as far as I could go. I am holding on to the sign with a smile...er...grimace?

Another view from the top.

4 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

Oh my!! What an incredible view!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Cindy Swanson said...

I can't even begin to imagine living near such an extraordinarily beautiful place! You are blessed indeed.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger candy said...

HI Cindy, Havent seen you around lately! I do feel blessed to live here. Most people see Reno and the desert to the east of the mountains and are a bit taken aback I have to admit...but the mountains and Lake Tahoe are very beautiful.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Catez said...

Breathtaking photos - thanks Candy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home